Monday, April 17, 2006

Seven for Sunday, 4/16

Two long time favorite bands are back with new music and hit the countdown of my most-listened to songs of the week.

Here is the list, based on my iPod playcount (last week's):

1. The Fallen - Franz Ferdinand - Hanging on to #1 for dear life with some new challengers. But I still enjoy this tight piece of Brit pop rock. (1)
2. Danni California - Red Hot Chilip Peppers - Another slab of funk-infused rock that kind of picks up the storyline of "By the Way" and paints some more of that "Californication" landscape. Keidis lays down some interesting rhymes but I think the part that grabbed me first was the solo at the end. Fruscante tears it up as he plays over Flea's meandering bass line. It's delivered so effortlessly you know these guys are at the top of their game. Looking forward to hearing the whole album now. (-)
3. I'm American - Queensryche - OK, expect a full review on "Operation:Mindcrime II" this week as I gave myself a week to listen to and consider what I thought of a sequel to one of my favorite albums of all time. This song is strong enough with the wonderfully relevant chorus: "Cuz I'm free, I deserve everything I can get/I'm American, I'm American." (-)
4. Worldwide Suicide - Pearl Jam - Been a fan of PJ for a while but didn't get the last 2 albums for one reason or another. This seems to be a straight forward rock tune with Eddie Veder capturing the feel of the moment with the US at its war on terror. This one has really started catching on me in the last week or so. (3)
5. One Foot in Hell - Queensryche - It's been 18 years since the original "Mindcrime." One wonders if a sequel is necessary but this is another strong song. (-)
6. Foxy, Foxy - Rob Zombie - Usually, I get a kick outta hearing the kids singing along to the music while we're in the car. When I heard Lucas singing the chorus of this one, I thought, "Uh-oh...what have I done?" (4)
7. Perfect Situation - Weezer - This long time number 1 may be on the verge of falling out. Still a great tune. (5)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home