Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Alice Back In Chains

Not sure if I'm happy about this or not. I really like the band Alice In Chains but four years after lead singer Layne Staley died, I'm not sure how I feel about a reunion with a new singer.

But apparently that will come to pass, according to Pollstar. The band will soon begin a 25-date tour of Europe with vocalist William DuVall of LA band Comes the Fall. No word on if he will take on the vocal duties permanently.

Now AIC's "Dirt" is one of my all time favorite albums and I've certainly enjoyed guitarist Jerry Cantrell's solo work (check "Anger Rising," "Angel Eyes" and "Locked On" off Degradation Trip). I'm apprehensive of an AIC reforming.

JP's 7 Favorite AIC songs (thanks to Allmusic for reviews that nail much of the reason I like each tune):
1. Would - The band I was in while in college, Mad Hatter, used to cover this. Ominous bass line.
2. Them Bones
3. Hate To Feel - "Used to be curious/no the sh!t's sustenance"
4. Man In a Box - They had me at first riff.
5. Put You Down - I'm sure it was a drug pean, but it reminded me of someone I once dated: "I can see what the cost will be/honey, I don't need you, I just can't put you down"
6. I Stay Away
7. Dam That River

Oh how I miss that truly unique mixture of the voices of Staley and Cantrell.

Thanks to Pop Candy for the tip.
A New Chapter for Alice [Pollstar]

2 Comments:

Blogger LT said...

Heeere they come to snuff the rooooster ...

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sooner they kill that song the better. I mean, I'm an AIC fan from way back, but why did THAT treacly piece of crap become their most enduring hit?

Why not "And We Die Young"?

A few months ago I re-listened to "Dirt" all the way through and found it tough to enjoy it, since EVERY FREAKIN' SONG was about heroin. Funny how I didn't realize or else didn't care before Layne's death.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home