Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Mathematicians Gone Wild

I'm sorry. This is an interesting story and all, but when I read the earnest quote: "We're super excited," said Boone, a chemistry professor. "We've been looking for such a number for a long time."... I can't help but picture Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds yelling "NERDS!"

Then again, maybe I'm just jealous. Math guys usually make more money than journalists. Heck, congrats, they've been looking for this mythical number for years.

Missouri Researchers Find Largest Prime Number [AP via Yahoo]

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, there I was preparing to watch what was touted to be the best NCAA National Championship game in decades when I decided to check and see if any of my favorite bloggers had posted anything of interest during the day. And there it was – JP had posted a “mind-blogging” article. Was it true, had they really found the largest prime number?

I immediately read the article - over and over again. Unable to restrain the generated excitement, I ran and grabbed my calculator and of course my slide rule. And as the minutes and hours slowly slipped away into the night, I lavished myself in the world of mathematics. And in the wee hours of the morning when the old mind was exhausted from hours of mathematical fantasies I laid my head down and gathered in a bit of rest.

This morning I immediately noticed when checking the latest news, weather and sports that Texas had edged out a victory over USC. I knew that today the world would deluge its fellow man with replay after replay of some silly football game and they would miss perhaps the most significant number of all times.

Judge for yourself……

The worlds largest Prime Number:
M30402457 (that's 2 to the 30,402,457th power minus 1)

Or

NCAA National Football Championship Score:
Texas 41 / USC 38

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alan G, slide rules and all night math benders, these are a few of MY favorite things. So there must have been some kind of football game the other night.

T-Diddy

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home