Tuesday, December 27, 2005

If Not King...Then Very Darn Good Kong

I think after seeing King Kong I now understand the concept of having too much of a good thing. Peter Jackson, who won Oscars galore for his Lord of the Rings epics goes the epic route on the remake of the classic film about the giant ape. Overall, I really really liked it. And I hate to echo the refrain of most all the critics I've read...but I think at more than 3 hours long...it's just too long.

I'm not afraid of legnthy films. I loved Jackson's LOTR movies. But I think that with a movie that long, you've got to justify that the story requires that much time to be told.

The first third of the movie - and some may grumble that it takes about an hour before we first glimpse Kong - is fun. There are some good character moments. Depression-era New York is realistically rendered. I was not antsy.

The last third of the movie - when Kong is captured and brought back to be exhibited as the Eighth Wonder of the World - is great. The computer-generated imagery of Kong rampaging through the streets looks photo realistic. The climb up the Empire State Building and the fight with the biplanes is awe-inspiring. We're also reminded of the heart of this movie with the interplay between Naomi Watts' Ann Darow and the protective Kong. I was still sad, even though I knew what would happen. Well done.

It's just that middle third, on Skull Island, that bogs down for me. Too many creepy-crawlies and chase scenes that seem to only exist to kill off members of the boat's crew. And the dino stampede...some of the shots are bad-looking CGI that almost pull you out of the movie. (Spoiler alert) Jackson spends a lot of time developing the black member of the crew and his father-like relationship with the kid. Then the man is killed, the boy is sad and his character disappears for the rest of the movie. When Kong fights the T-Rex, though, nearly all is forgiven because it looks perfect and is a thrilling sequence.

Wonderful movie. Might have been benefited greatly from losing 30-40 minutes, in my opinion. That might've sent it up to Titanic-type box office heights, but we'll never know. Still, you must go see it. It's great escapist, epic movie making. Jackson knows how to tell a story and knows how to entertain.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. I am a huge King Kong fan. Can not begin to say how many times I have watched the original movie including, as a matter of fact, just yesterday afternoon on AMC. Just something about that movie has always drawn my attention and patronage.

Was not at all that impressed however with the first “remake”, but was seriously intrigued by the previews and trailers on this newly released version. Have seen the first remake a total of one and a half times. Look forward to seeing this one now that it has gotten a “thumbs-up”. And although I haven’t seen it yet, I am very happy that Mr. Jackson chose to leave the “era” of the movie content alone and not try to make it take place in modern times as did the first remake.

Of course, when the original was made, it was made in the modern era of its day wasn’t it?

Later….

11:41 AM  
Blogger JP said...

I loved the original, which I remember from seeing on Sunday afternoon matinees on TV growing up. I need to see it again.

Caught the 76 remake on AMC the other night. It has not aged well, even if Jessica Lange has.

In the end I have such mixed feelings about Jackson's Kong because there's so much I like about it but a few points just really stuck out and nearly ruined it. Be interested to hear your take when you see it, Alan.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home