Saturday, December 24, 2005

Five for Friday, Vol. 16: JP's Favorite Songs of '05

'Tis the season for year-end lists. Everybody's doing them. Here's a nice roundup of Best of 2005 lists...

Dumbest Quote of the Year, according to about.com: Former First Lady Barbara Bush on Katrina refugees in the Houston Astrodome shelter...
"What I'm hearing which is sort of scary is that they all want to stay in Texas. Everybody is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (chuckle) – this is working very well for them."

Merriam-Webster's "Word of the Year": integrity...followed by refugee.

Critic Roger Ebert's top 10 movies of the year (my favorites will come next week): He chooses "Crash," which I haven't seen yet but comes highly recommended from friends who have.

But for right now, I'm sharing my favorite songs of the year. I can't do it based on iPod playlist, since I didn't have the iPod all year and I reset every week for the weekly list. So here's an unscientific roundup of the songs I couldn't get out of my head this year.

1. Blue Orchid - The White Stripes - A ripping guitar riff and attitude. This hit me in June when I was on vacation. I couldn't stop listening to it while on the beach. And a song already has the inside track when you associate it with somthing like lounging on the beach. ... "You got a reaction, didn't you?"

2. DOA - Foo Fighters - Probably not a classic in the Foo Fighters canon - and they have a lot of great songs. This was just that straight-forward rock song, bringing the melodrama of comparing the end of a relationship to death, that I couldn't get out of my head or off my iPod.

3. Hollaback Girl - Gwen Stefani - I denied this song for the longest when I first heard it. But then I finally surrendered - aside from Blue Orchid, this was the other song that I grooved to on the beach while on vacation. Love the name check of Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust."

4. BYOB - System of a Down - "WHY DO THEY ALWAYS SEND THE POOR!" he screams and I was instantly locked into this one, from the first of SOAD's two albums of 2005. An obvious political statement with the tempting tune to go to the desert and have a party while blowing up the sun.

5. Mr. Brightside - The Killers - Not since Duran Duran has dance rock been this fun. Eager to see if they can keep it going on album #2.

Honorable Mention (in no particular order):
Feel Good Inc. - Gorillaz
Hung Up - Madonna
Bat Country - Avenged Sevenfold
Do You Want To - Franz Ferdinand
Pretty Vegas - INXS
Holiday - Green Day
Wake Me When September Ends - Green Day
Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day
Beverly Hills - Weezer
Only - Nine Inch Nails
Bite the Hand that Feeds - Nine Inch Nails
E-Pro - Beck
Hypnotize - System of a Down
Question! - System of a Down
Drop It Like It's Hot - Snoop Dogg featuring Pharrell
Remedy - Seether

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Christmas post. Crash is an excellent movie, btw. Its a must see...particularly for those that enjoy movies that make them think.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home