Tuesday, June 13, 2006

...And in Sports

For a politics and culture Web mag, Slate has had a spate (a Slate spate, if you will) of insightful and interesting sports articles, most recently analyzing the World Cup soccer tournament now underway and the underwhelming Stanley Cup hockey finals.

So is it cultural arrogance that keeps Americans from liking soccer? Is it really a commie sport because they don’t use their hands? Dave Eggers, in excerpt from his book, examines those issues as well as tracking the ups and downs of the sport in the U.S.

And the poor NHL. Back in 1999, I started getting in to hockey when Little Rock became home to one (the GlacierCats) and then another (the RiverBlades) team. I grew to really enjoy the sport (along with the NHL’s Dallas Stars who brought home the Cup in ’99 and gave me one of my all time favorite sports moments that I witnessed in person). It was a power game like football, it moved fast like basketball and had more strategy than might appear at first glance like baseball. And I had never felt such energy as in playoff hockey…particularly overtime playoff hockey when it could all be over in a flash.

Then minor leagues overgrew. Both of the LR teams ultimately folded. Then a strike wipes out the NHL’s 2004-2005 season…and no one seemed to miss it. And it came back this year and no one seemed to care.

Slate’s Christ Shott argues the NHL should go back to move forward. But don't take away my Dallas Stars!

And a few weeks back, Slate took on the NBA and wondered if timeouts were killing the league. I’ve never much cared for pro basketball. Too much one-on-one, showboat stuff. Not enough teamwork. But I’ve got friends who are crazy over it…and I’d be happy if the Mavs go on and win it all this year (since Dallas is my adopted pro town between the Cowboys and the Stars).

The True Story of American Soccer [Slate]
Ice Guys Finish Last [Slate]
A Timeout to Kill [Slate]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home