Monday, May 22, 2006

Seven for Sunday, 5/21 + Chili Peppers review

I've been listening to and mulling over the Red Hot Chili Peppers' new double album, Stadium Arcadium, since its release a couple weeks ago. It has exceeded my expectations and I think it's every bit on par with my favorite Chili Peppers album, Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

Double albums are tricky beasts to begin with. In my experience as a listener, they are either a landmark statement of talent and skill. They are designed - whether there's an explicit concept or not - to be listened to in their entireity from start to finish.

Or they are bloated "too much of a good thing" indulgences by bands who needed an editor to cut it down to manageble size (Foos: You hear that? I love ya. You're still one of my favorites but In Your Honor just had "too many notes".)

On one hand, I enjoy the challenge of a band trying to make a statement. On the other hand, as a double album, there are so many songs, it's easy for many to be overlooked.

This album is so consistently strong but lacking a unifying musical statement. It's just a collection of 28 solid songs, each existing on their own. Mix em and match em and set up your own playlist. There isn't a bad song I've heard yet on a handful of full listens.

There are several standouts. From the first single, "Dani California" to the dance/pop/funk/rap/pseudo disco "Tell Me Baby" its a fun affair. The musicianship is strong from bass master Flea's dive bomb runs during the break of "Desecration Smile" to the driving riff of "Torture Me." Guitarist John Frusciante never ceases to amaze me alternately riffing ("Readymade"), then throwing out the most delicate melody ("Harder to Concentrate" and "Snow (Hey Oh)"). I love the 90s alt-rock sound of "Make You Feel Better," which seems like it should've been on the "Reality Bites" soundtrack.

Much has been made over the years about Anthony Keidis' voice. C'mon, he started as a rapper/shouter of a funk party band that has morphed into one of the greatest funk rock bands of all time. He's come a long way. He works hard and while his voice may not be perfect, it's perfect for the Peppers.

In this second week of release, I've been concentrating more on the second disc as evidenced by my top 7 (based on my iPod playcount):

1. Tell Me Baby - Red Hot Chili Peppers - After Dani California, the most infectious melody on the album.
2. Hard To Concentrate - Red Hot Chili Peppers - A plainive state of love.
3. 21st Century - Red Hot Chili Peppers - But we still do the funk rock. Driven by a liquid-like bass line.
4. Made You Feel Better - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Suddenly I was back in the early to mid 90s - and it was good. Would've been right at home on a Social Distortion album.
5. Desecration Smile - Red Hot Chili Peppers
6. Readymade - Red Hot Chili Peppers
7. Dani California - Red Hot Chili Peppers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home