Sunday, December 11, 2005

Another Rock Death Anniversary

Wow, was so wrapped up thinking about the anniversary of Lennon's death, I let another anniversary slip by, the first anniversary of the murder of former Pantera guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott. Thanks to Southern Wench for reminding me.

As my favorite online musical encyclopedia so rightly said, "No band affected the metal world more so than Pantera in the early to mid-90s." Though I'd argue that Metallica's Black Album coming in 1991 did quite a bit to affect the metal world. But anyway, I really liked Pantera (at least from Cowboys From Hell through Far Beyond Driven - after that, they sapped away most all melody in the name of brutal thrash, which just didn't do it for me. From the moment my buddy Fred brought the then new "Cowboys From Hell" to the dorm room for us to hear. It was amazing, and the major reason was Dimebag's guitar virtuosity.

On Dec. 8, 2004, he was gunned down on stage while performing with his new band, Damageplan. Lawsuits now follow.

I feel fortunate to have been able to see Pantera in July 2001, on what was their last tour together. They came to Riverfest Amphitheatre and put on a whale of a show. It was everything I was wanting to see from them: loud, blistering met-ul with Dimebag demonstrating the art of shredding riffs and guitar solos from hell. You are missed.

Family of Dimebag Darrell Sues Club Where He was Shot [FMQB]
Metal Man [Fort Worth Star-Telegram]
You Are Missed, Dime [Southern Wench]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home