Friday, December 15, 2006

Cowboys: What Have You Done for Me Lately?

I've been a fan of the Dallas Cowboys since I really discovered football, back at age 7 or 8. My earliest Cowboys memory is watching Super Bowl XII, when they beat the Broncos. I was already a fan by that point, but that's the earliest I remember.

I came by it honestly. In central Arkansas back in those pre-cable days, the Cowboys were shown most every Sunday since they were probably the closest pro team. I grew up a fan of QB Roger Staubach (who now has his own blog) and RB Tony Dorsett...and that Doomsday Defense. I remember my heart breaking as I watched "The Catch." I slogged through that 1-15 season along with rookie QB Troy Aikman.

Anyway, flash forward, I finally got to see the Cowboys in person...after all these years...back in 1999. In the final game of the season, they beat the NY Giants in what ended up being Chan Gailey's last regular season game as coach. Since that time, I've seen 3 more games, including last Sunday's supposedly big time matchup against the hot New Orleans Saints (see camera phone image above).

In 2000, I saw the Boys lose to the Jags in OT. Last season, I was there on Monday night - with temps in the upper 90s and me bathed in sweat - as the Cowboys blew a 4th quarter lead and lost to the hated Redskins.

And now this...after an 80-yard TD run by Julius Jones early in the Saints game, the blow out is on. The Saints roll to a 42-17 win as I watch from the best seats I've ever had, there on the 20 yd line. Oh, it was awful. I guess it was an exciting game. There was lots of scoring. And Reggie Bush is pretty awesome. But sheesh!

C'mon Cowboys. What have I got to do? I've put in the time as a fan. And this is the reward I get. 3 straight loses?!?! Sheesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home