Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Operation: Mindcrime Strikes Back

This shouldn't surprise you but I'm overdue with my take on the new album by Queensryche, a longtime favorite band of mine. They went and did a sequel to their landmark 1988 concept album about politics, corruption and a doomed love, Operation: Mindcrime.

Now the first album is an all-time favorite of mine. I was concerned that a sequel wasn't only not necessary but would harm the legacy of the original (kind of like the Star Wars prequels). For my review, I turn in part to a recent email exchange with buddy Scott - who was the singer for the band I was in while in college, Mad Hatter. We both agreed on the classic status of the original.

The thing about Operation: Mindcrime, was that not only was the concept story interesting and timely social commentary, the music was compelling and not too prog. But even more importantly the songs were very strong, many of them ("Eyes of a Stranger," "I Don't Believe in Love," for example) could stand alone, even without the storyline.

Overall, I really wanted to like Operation: Mindcrime II. I hoped it would live up to its name. After continued listens, I must conclude it does not. The music and songs aren't that strong. The storyline is muddled.

Says Scott, more harshly:
"...Here we have nothing but overwrought, off-tempo synchopation that serves no purpose other than to make the song unhummable; we have frankly embarassing lyrics, and not a memorable chorus among the bunch. ... The story, what there is of it, could be told in 3 songs (I get out, I kill him, I'm CRAY-ZEE!), and is instead stretched out over 17 tracks. The soaring harmonized solos are gone, replaced by that incessant pah-pah-pah of off-tempo synchopation that the drummer and bassist are having a great time with, but that just gives the listener a headache. Geoff is displaying none of his chops here, unless you count the over-reliance on keyboards."
My emailed response:
"For the most part, I agree with you. There's not really anything memorable. I like the first couple of songs enough, but as the album drags on, there's a certain sameness to each track.

"There's not even much social commentary beyond "I'm American" which I think is a pretty decent song and probably the standout of the album. Where's "Speak" and "Spreading the Disease" and "Revolution Calling"?!?!

"They don't even really refer to the music of the first album - that I could discern. That might've been cool, if they had played with some of the original riffs...echoing them, then having them evolve.

"I feel like some of the shortcomings were budget limitations. Maybe they didn't have the budget for anything as dramatic as "Suite Sister Mary." Also, Geoff's voice seemed fried. I think that's why you don't hear him display his chops...because the upper register is gone after all these years.

"I don't think on it's own, it's horrible. But because it's trying to follow up a classic, it definitely pales by comparison."
Since it's my blog, I get a longer take. :) So the bottom line, sadly, is that the best thing you can do with the Mindcrime sequel is use it as an excuse to listen to the original a few times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home