Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Oh. He's Dead.

Nothing like a buried lead in a story about a death. LR TV station KATV grabbed me with the headline "Little Rock Man Found in Residential Pool." Now, I know what they probably mean, but then jaded former journalist in me - having been drilled in J-School on buried leads and bad headlines - wonders...was he just taking a swim or was he dead...you sure can't tell from the headline.

So I go read the story (sure you can argue the headline accomplished its mission to draw me in, but that's not the point)...doing yard work...found...face down... A-ha! There in the fourth sentence it says he was dead when they found him. So it was news after all. Better headline would've been "Body of LR Man Found in Pool."

"According to reports, Forrester had a bruise on his forehead. A weed eater he was working with was found on the pool's cover." Sounds like an unfortunate accident.

OK, my snarky work is done.

LR Man Found in Residential Pool [KATV]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home