Friday, October 28, 2005

Mr. Sulu Comes Out

On the sneaker heels of WNBA All-Star Sheryl Swoopes outting herself earlier this week, actor George Takei, best known for playing helmsman (and later captain) Hikaru Sulu on Star Trek, says he's gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

UPDATE: Apparently in some quarters, using the above Seinfeld reference - especially in this context - is not taken in the innocent humor it was intended by this Seinfeld fan. To each his or her own, and I certainly feel no need to defend my usage other than to say it wasn't used as code for anything other than the fact I'm a Star Trek fan and a Seinfeld fan.

Takei, a Japanese-American who spent time in an internment camp in Arkansas during World War II, says the current social climate convinced him to reveal his sexuality.

"The world has changed from when I was a young teen feeling ashamed for being gay," he tells the AP. "The issue of gay marriage is now a political issue. That would have been unthinkable when I was young."

The 68-year-old actor said he and his partner, Brad Altman, have been together for 18 years.

Swoopes, the three-time Women's National Basketball Association Most Valuable Player said Wednesday, ""I was at a point in my life where I am just tired of having to pretend to be somebody I am not."

George Takei, 'Trek's' Sulu: I'm Gay [CNN]
Swoopes Says She Is Gay, and Exhales [NY Times]
Takei Treks Back to WWII Internment Camp [CNN]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home