Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Bad News Razorbacks

Still trying to make sense of the whole Darren McFadden thing when we get news that a car accident claimed the life of "The Voice of the Razorbacks" Paul Eells. So many of my favorite Razorbacks sports memories are narrated by Eells...whether it was "Touchdown Arkansas!" or his trademark "Oh my!"... very sad news. Growing up in Malvern, in the days before the cable TV explosion...when the Hogs were lucky to have one or two televised football games a year, Eells was the man.

During my years in Arkansas media and working in communications around these parts, I got to meet Eells a couple of times. The reputation as the "nicest guy" was true.

Now maybe McFadden will learn from his own mistakes and give us some new Razorbacks memories in the seasons to come. But those memories will have a different "voice" when I hear them on the radio.

Arkansas' Nutt: We'll Move On After McFadden's Injury [AP via Sporting News]
Voice of the Razorbacks Dies in Car Accident [KATV]
The Nicest Guy I Ever Knew In Sports Reporting Has Died [Arkansas Times]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home