Sunday, September 25, 2005

Five for Friday, Vol. 3: Special Tropical Storm Weekend Edition

OK, so Friday ended up being more hectic than anticipated and I didn't get to this until Sunday - but I did get to it. With Hurricane/Tropical Storm Rita bearing down on Arkansas after making it ashore and projections of lots of rain (which indeed held true with rain through much of Saturday and some of Sunday)...I had my own brain storm: My favorite "rain" songs.

So here we go...

1. "November Rain" - Guns N' Roses - Epic. Who knew back then that Axl could pull off Elton John-esque theatrics and on the piano as well?!? Come back Axl. Rock needs you. Plus two beautiful guitar solos from Slash.

2. "Only Happy When It Rains" - Garbage - Perfect song. Great lyrics. Plus I've always had a crush on Shirley Manson (though she's just out of the running for the Five Freebie List (more on that later). "I'm only happy when it rains/I'm only happy when it's complicated"

3. "Purple Rain" - Prince - Back in my junior high years, when this came out, it took me a long time to warm to it. It's a ballad. I'm a rocker. Plus, all I wanted to listen to on that album was "Darling Nikki." But then, one day, it hit me...His Royal Badness pours his soul out. THIS is what it sounds like, when doves cry.

4. "Another Rainy Night (Without You)" - Queensryche - Another perfectly-crafted tune from one of the non-Grunge Seattle bands. I agree Geoff it is "strange how laughter looks like crying with no sound/ raindrops taste like tears, without the pain."

5. (tie) "Rain When I Die" - Alice In Chains - From my favorite of the Seattle grunge bands - one that went away too soon. A painful dirge that became all too true. And a week ago, I'm not lying here, I hydroplaned a 360-degree spin on a wet freeway off ramp and when I came to a stop, the second thing I realized after I discovered I was OK and fortunately there was no traffic behind me...was that this song was playing on my iPod. Talk about Head Creeps.

5. (tie - yeah, I know I'm cheating to get more songs, but it's my blog, so get over it) "Hold Back the Rain" - Duran Duran - OK, some may think of this as a throwaway song off Duran's masterpiece, "Rio," but I've always thought this rocked and really hit home at a point in my life when I needed it (again back in junior high).

Honorable mention:
"Rain" - The Beatles
"Crying in The Rain" - Whitesnake
"Here Comes The Rain Again" - Eurythmics

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home