Wednesday, August 31, 2005

When the levee breaks...



Much information on the Katrina aftermath. It's morbidly addictive viewing and the scenes just boggle the mind. From the AP: Governor: Everyone Must Leave New Orleans.

AP: Hospital conditions worsen

New Orleans TV station WWLT has a blog for storm updates.

"I just took what I need," a looter told the LA Times.

On one hand, I see the looting and get mad. It's abhorrent and illegal and uncivilized and just plain wrong. The "Worst of Human Nature," they call it on the Today Show.

On the other hand, were I there...I'd probably be sorely tempted. If I was hungry, hot, scared, frustrated... Most of these businesses will just write off all losses on insurance, I would imagine.

Just frustrating to see that behavior, but understandable...but that doesn't make it right.

This past June the JP family vacationed in the Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, Ala., area. We had a lot of fun - though that area was still cleaning up from 2004's Hurricane Ivan. Toured the USS Alabama Battleship in Mobile Bay. Found out yesterday the park suffered severe damage and is closed indefinitely.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check this out for racism in the news coverage:

Black people loot. White people 'find.'

Crazy.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home