Friday, August 19, 2005

Drama Kings

When TIME magazine recently ranked the "6 Best Dramas on TV Right Now" they really scratched me where I itch. Now my buddy LT has a soft spot for one on the list, Deadwood, but I ain't never seen the HBO Western, which apparently sets new creative highs for use of profanity.

But my current TV favorites include 3 on the list:
ABC's "Lost," which took a provocative plot, sprinkled in some interesting characters...piled on the plot twists and mysteries...and it's been one break-neck thrill ride ever since. I recommend booking your own flight on Oceanic Airlines. Don't get a seat in the back section, though.

Sci-Fi's "Battlestar Galactica" caught me completely off guard. I always had a soft spot for the campy Star Wars ripoff that lasted two short seasons on ABC in 1978. Sci Fi's remake...errr reimagining has Galactica "reborn as a dark, thrilling story of a deep-space war between humans and the Cylons, a race of robots created by mankind that can disguise themselves in human form. In an intriguing twist on the old series, the new Cylons have a religion and justify their genocide as punishment for humans' corruption. The humans must weigh fear vs. liberty and military vs. civilian authority. As a spacebound parable of the war on terrorism, this series hits eerily close to Earth." Amen! I can even forgive them for turning Starbuck into a hot chick.

Then there's the rapier-sharp wit of Dr. Gregory House on Fox's House. It's a step above the disease-of-the-week medical series...and not since those early seasons of ER has there been one this fun.

But I would be remiss if I didn't mention two favorites of mine that didn't make TIME's list:
...the F/X scalpel-sharp look at plastic surgery "Nip/Tuck" (cable-level profanity, nudity, clever writing and complex, engaging characters) and an old favorite that may have jumped the shark, "The West Wing" (although last season was much better...but I still don't think it has much longer).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home