Tuesday, March 14, 2006

49 Feet and 25 Years Later: U.S. Reed and the Hogs

As the Arkansas Razorbacks gear up for their first trip to the NCAA men's basketball tournament (aka "March Madness") since 2001, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette takes us back to a classic Razorbacks basketball memory today. It's been 25 years (!!!) since U.S. Reed launched his 49-foot prayer shot that was answered as time expired to beat the defending champion Louisville Cardinals 74-73 in the second round of the 1981 tournament.

The D-G story catches up the Reed, now 46 and a pastor in Pine Bluff. Reed said he is often asked about the shot and told by fans where they were when it happened.

JONWORLD CONFESSION: I missed seeing one of the biggest moments in Razorbacks basketball history on TV. :(

I was 10 and along with my parents for a visit to the grandparents in Magnolia. I remember watching part of the game on TV but went outside to play with a friend down the street. I remember returning later as my excited parents told me about the winning shot - and I later saw the replay on TV.


Reliving U.S. History [Arkansas Democrat-Gazette]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home