Friday, November 25, 2005

Five For Friday, Vol. 12: Favorite Seinfeld Episode Edition

OK, "Seinfeld" remains my favorite show on TV - even after it ended in 1998 with its 9th season. The chemistry of characters, situations and comedy has not been topped in my opinion. It is the best show ever about nothing.

My friends know this obession and tolerate it as best they can. I mean, what real life situation hasn't reminded us of a Seinfeld episode or line?!? In honor of the latest Seinfeld DVD collection - which I hope to get for Festivus...err Christmas, here are my five favorite episodes. (This one's for you, Smoss.)

And believe me, this was hard, because there are so many good ones and great moments. And sure, the top three are probably pretty obvious picks...but after that it's like picking which child you love best.

1. The Contest - When the show came into its own. Comedy on a taboo subject in a way that was acceptable to censors. Put the show on the pop culture map. I'll admit not being with the show since day 1. I watched it off and on and thought it funny. But by this point, I was with it every week as best I could.
2. Soup Nazi - No synopsis for you!
3. The Yada Yada - What made the series so great was when the four storylines (Jerry, Elaine, Kramer and George) started out so far apart and by the end come together in a beautiful mix. This episode is a perfect example. And Jerry going to confessional and sitting on the kneeling rail gets me every time. But I am not an anti-dentite.
4. The Burning - This list is HARD. Especially once you get past the first three because I love so many episodes for so many reasons. Tractor! (And disease actor Kramer: "They gave me gonorrhea." George: "Who? The government?"
5. The Strike - A Festivus for the rest of us! Two Face! The Human Fund! The Fake Number!! Yamma-hamma!

Honorable mentions:
The Implant - "They're real and they're spectacular."
The Puffy Shirt - "I don't wanna be a pirate!"
The Stall - "Can you spare a square?"
The Rye - "Whooa there, big fella."
The Chicken Roaster - "Bad Chicken. Mess you up!"
The Serenity Now - "Serenity now...Insanity Later."Anytown U.S.A.
The Betrayal - The backwards episode
The Pothole - Kramer adopts a mile.
The Frogger, The Abstinence, The Sponge, The Fusilli Jerry...I can't stop thinking of more I like!

3 Comments:

Blogger starbender said...

I have so many favorites, I could never pick 1.
:)

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And who could forget....

Kramer: "I'm out there Jerry and I'm lovin' every minute of it!"

Kramer: "...And with Darrell's help, were gonna catch that chicken!"

Elaine: "Did a Dingo ate yo baby?"

Kramer: "I got a hole-in-one!"

I'm with you JP - Greatest Show On Earth!

6:24 AM  
Blogger JP said...

And then there's:

Jackie Childs: "Who told you to put the balm on?"

...the Elaine dance...

...I love the montage when George's dad builds the pool hall in George's old room and the maestro comes over to play...

...it's the manzierre...it's the bro

Jerry: "I carry a purse."

Vegetable lesagna

Puddy: "High five."

I know we could all go on and on. It's the gold standard of TV comedy. Thanks guys for stopping by.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home